In this update i'm working on integrating the new enemy model, code named "Snek"
Being able to reuse animations saves budget, utilizing Unreal4's animation re-targeting system has been a blessing & a curse. :P
The "snek" is a bigger character, so I tried to keep as many of the animations as faithful as possible while keeping his general silhouette close to his body. A lot of these characters have to share devices & doors that otherwise wouldn't make sense.
You can see the size difference isn't huge, but the "snek" is a lot longer and less vertical than Camille.
As I get closer to having him completed, i'll include some nice renders & animations! I'm hoping to have him incorporated into the next Multiplayer test so we can have some fun with his tail physics.
I shifted focus to getting Online multiplayer to work inside Fadeout. Using Unreal Engine 4 it wasn't too difficult, but going from essentially 0 knowledge on how networking in games works to what i have now was not easy.
It took me the last 8 days, about 10 hours a day to really hammer it in. And I'm happy with the results. I have all movement, inventory systems, and weapons synced properly over the net. Trimming some fat by playing effects client side, and only syncing projectiles & damage makes it somewhat light-weight.
I tested it with 4 people online, and 2 people locally. We had a blast shooting & exploding each other.
My next blog post will include some video of that, but I need to iron out some of the bugs first :)
I also added the ability to name yourself, and choose a color for your helmet. Which is sent to the server when you connect.